Arizona has some of the harshest DUI laws in the nation. If you are charged with driving under the influence or driving while intoxicated, one of the first things you will want to do is call a qualified Phoenix DUI Attorney.
Arizona Revised Statutes 28 1381(A)(1)
It is unlawful for a person to drive or be in actual physical control of a vehicle if the person is impaired to the slightest degree by alcohol and/or drugs.
Arizona Revised Statutes 28 1381(A)(2)
It is unlawful for a person to drive or be in actual physical control of a vehicle if the person has an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more within two hours of driving.
First Offense DUI & DWI Alcohol Penalties in Arizona:
The maximum sentence for a first offense DUI or DWI in Arizona is six months in jail and up to $2,500 in fines.
The minimum sentence for a first offense DUI Drug charge in Arizona includes:
- 10 days in jail 9 days suspended if drug counseling is completed
- Fines, fees and costs of approximately $1,512.50
- Driver’s license suspension
- Ignition Interlock after license reinstatement
- 8 points assessed against driver’s license
- Attend traffic safety school
Other potential penalties:
- Possible Probation for up to 5 years
- Possible community service
- Possible MADD Impact Panel
- Possible Jail costs
- Possible increased Insurance premiums
- Possible SR22 (High Risk Insurance)
Example of the Costs for a First Time DUI/DWI*
|Standard fines, assessments, and surcharges||$1,512.50|
|Jail cost for one day||$130.00|
|Traffic Survival School||$100.00|
|Ignition Interlock Device for a year||$1,200.00|
|Car Insurance Rate Increase for 3 years||$5,700.00|
Other potential costs that will increase the total include:
- Probation Fees
- MADD Impact Panel Fee
- SR 22 High Risk Insurance
*This is an example for illustrative purposes only. The actual costs will vary. For a first time DUI offense in Arizona, you could expect to pay a total cost between $8,000 and $24,000.
It is important to hire an experienced lawyer who actually knows how to defend DUI/DWI cases. Attorney Robert A. Butler has defended thousands of DUI/DWI cases and has knowledge and skill to reach the best possible outcome for you. For a free consultation, contact us today.